br McCarthy DM Maitra A Argani P et
7. McCarthy DM, Maitra A, Argani P et al. Novel markers of pancreatic adenocarcinoma in fine-needle aspiration: mesothelin and prostate stem cell antigen labeling increases accuracy in cytologically borderline cases. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 2003; 11: 238 – 43.
8. Fritcher EG, Kipp BR, Halling KC et al. A multivariable model using advanced cytologic methods for the evaluation of indeterminate pancreatobiliary strictures. Gastroenterology 2009; 136: 2180 – 6.
9. Barr Fritcher EG, Voss JS, Brankley SM et al. An Optimized Set of Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Probes for Detection of Pancreatobiliary Tract Cancer in Cytology Brush Samples. Gastroenterology 2015; 149: 1813 – 1824.
10. Kipp BR, Barr Fritcher EG, Pettengill JE et al. Improving the accuracy of pancreatobiliary tract Methoxy-X04 with fluorescence in situ hybridization: a molecular test with proven clinical success. Cancer Cytopathol 2013; 121: 610 – 9. 11. Lin S, Gregory RI. MicroRNA biogenesis pathways in cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2015; 15: 321 – 33.
14. Bloomston M, Frankel WL, Petrocca F et al. MicroRNA expression patterns to differentiate pancreatic adenocarcinoma from normal pancreas and chronic pancreatitis. JAMA 2007; 297: 1901 – 8.
15. Szafranska AE, Davison TS, John J et al. MicroRNA expression alterations are linked to tumorigenesis and non-neoplastic processes in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Oncogene 2007; 26: 4442 – 52.
17. Jamieson NB, Morran DC, Morton JP et al. MicroRNA molecular profiles associated with diagnosis, clinicopathologic criteria, and overall survival in patients with resectable pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 2012; 18: 534 – 45.
18. Khan S, Ansarullah, Kumar D et al. Targeting microRNAs in pancreatic cancer: microplayers in the big game.
19. Van Laethem JL, Bourgeois V, Parma J et al. Relative contribution of Ki-ras gene analysis and brush cytology during ERCP for the diagnosis of biliary and pancreatic diseases. Gastrointest Endosc 1998; 47: 479 – 85.
20. Tanaka M. Current roles of endoscopy in the management of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas. Dig Endosc 2015; 27: 450 – 7.
21. Dudley JC, Zheng Z, McDonald T et al. Next-Generation Sequencing and Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization Have Comparable Performance Characteristics in the Analysis of Pancreaticobiliary Brushings for Malignancy. J Mol Diagn 2016; 18: 124 – 30.
22. Volmar KE, Vollmer RT, Routbort MJ et al. Pancreatic and bile duct brushing cytology in 1000 cases: review
23. Weilert F, Bhat YM, Binmoeller KF et al. EUS-FNA is superior to ERCP-based tissue sampling in suspected malignant biliary obstruction: results of a prospective, single-blind, comparative study. Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 80: 97 – 104.
25. de Bellis M, Fogel EL, Sherman S et al. Influence of stricture dilation and repeat brushing on the cancer detection rate of brush cytology in the evaluation of malignant biliary obstruction. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;
26. Wright ER, Bakis G, Srinivasan R et al. Intraprocedural tissue diagnosis during ERCP employing a new cytology preparation of forceps biopsy (Smash protocol). Am J Gastroenterol 2011; 106: 294 – 9.
27. Cosgrove ND, Yan L, Siddiqui A. Preoperative endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration for diagnosis of pancreatic cancer in potentially resectable patients: Is this safe? Endoscopic Ultrasound 2015; 4: 81
28. Khan K, Cunningham D, Peckitt C et al. miR-21 expression and clinical outcome in locally advanced pancreatic cancer: exploratory analysis of the pancreatic cancer Erbitux, radiotherapy and UFT (PERU) trial. Oncotarget 2016; 7: 12672 – 81.
29. Yu Q, Xu C, Yuan W et al. Evaluation of Plasma MicroRNAs as Diagnostic and Prognostic Biomarkers in Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: miR-196a and miR -210 Could Be Negative and Positive Prognostic Markers, Respectively. Biomed Res Int 2017; 2017:6495867.
30. Feldmann G, Nattermann J, Nischalke HD et al. Detection of human aspartyl (asparaginyl) beta-hydroxylase and homeobox B7 mRNA in brush cytology specimens from patients with bile duct cancer. Endoscopy 2006;
31. Nischalke HD, Schmitz V, Luda C et al. Detection of IGF2BP3, HOXB7, and NEK2 mRNA expression in brush cytology specimens as a new diagnostic tool in patients with biliary strictures. PLoS One 2012; 7: e42141.
LEGENDS TO FIGURES
Figure 1. Representative cytologic specimens from pancreatobiliary brushings: (A) normal ductal epithelial cell
Figure 2. Box plot presentation of threshold cycle differences between malignant and benign biliary samples for target microRNAs (miR-16, miR-196a, miR-221). The ∆Ct values shown are presented after subtraction of the reference gene RNU6B threshold cycle numbers, and final results were depicted after subtraction from 40, therefore a higher number reflects higher value of expression. Results are shown as Box plots. Threshold cycle differences were significant in all cases, with the given p-values. Sample size is n=35.